Americans of Conscience Checklist Ambassadors
Growth in service to a bigger goal
In her TED talk, political science expert Erica Chenowith shared a number: 3.5%. She conducted a rigorous, two-year research project showing how groups of people succeed at overthrowing a dictator. Erica found that when up to 3.5% of the population engages in sustained, non-violent protest, change happens. 3.5%.
As our executive branch issues increasingly ominous policies, I keep thinking, “Let’s do this.” With help, we can recruit some of the 11 million Americans we need engaged right now.
We’ve set a goal to double number of AoC Checklist subscribers by this November 2018: 60,000 Americans in 6 months.
Our team team came up with a long list of strategies to accomplish this, and some could include you. That’s why I’m asking for your help.
Think for a moment: Do you know people who are stunned by the news, who want to speak up, but can’t find the words? When I tell people like this about the AoC Checklist, they’re astonished that such a thing exists. Relieved. Motivated. Once they know about it, they want to take action.
So. Together, we’re going to engage more people of conscience. Based on my experience as a social media strategist, I’ll provide you with tools that will increase AoCC subscriptions and add to the chorus of Americans saying, “Enough!” Because that’s how change happens.
Here are our strategies
My amazing, dedicated team and I have developed a 15-point plan. It will:
- Attract more visibility and interest in the Americans of Conscience Checklist.
- Increase sharing of the AoC Checklist.
- Increase sign-ups by 10,000 people per month through November 1, 2018
We can do this if we work together.
What to expect as an AoCC Ambassador
Every other week, you’ll receive an email (from me, Anne P., or Erica W.) with three tasks to complete in support of our goals. Just like the checklist, all Ambassador actions will be clear, simple, and effective. The tasks will take 1-3 hours per month to complete.
As with all our volunteers, we ask to honor five rules in your role as an AoCC Ambassador:
- Channel Saint Michelle Obama: Keep your messages positive, warm, and engaging. This means no gloating, snark, sarcasm, name-calling, or mockery. No matter how tempting or deserved. See #2.
- Focus on what we want: At AoCC, we advocate for, oppose, and stand with our neighbors. We don’t use oppression-oriented framing (like kill, fight, battle, enemy, defeat, etc.).
- No free publicity: Since our chief executive’s name is also a brand, we refer to him only as “the president”. No more, no less.
- No partisan messaging: Some of that crucial 3.5% may come from surprising corners. The Checklist is for any American concerned about the headlines and our neighbors’ rights. This is a purple effort—not blue, not green, not red.
- Call it by its name: Fiddly but important:: It’s called the Americans of Conscience Checklist (AoC Checklist or AoCC for short). We’re not “Americans of Conscience”; we’re a checklist. Please note the correct spelling: con-science.
What we’ve found
Our secret sauce is laser-clear, no-drama messaging. While there are lots of places to find drama (online and around the Thanksgiving table), the AoCC intends to be an oasis. Our strategies kindle a warm fire for diverse people to gather around, work together, and create a better America.
If you decide to proceed as an AoCC Ambassador (I really hope you do), this means you agree to uphold our five ground rules as all our other volunteers do. Since no one will be checking up on you (we’re busy saving our democracy!), you are on the honor system. Our ground rules pertain only to times when you’re in your ambassadorial role.
The benefits to you of being an Ambassador
As an Ambassador, you will likely feel more grounded, more purposeful, more inspired, and more encouraged as you assist with this effort. Many of our current volunteers report this.
Knowing you’re part of something bigger can dissolve isolation and increase purpose. We will share and celebrate our progress and successes in our bi-monthly messages.
Interested? Here’s what’s next.
If you want to help us meet this ambitious goal, sign up to become an AoCC Ambassador below. (Your privacy is important, and we never share your contact info with anyone, ever.)
In the next two weeks, you’ll receive an email from me with three tasks to assist in doubling the checklist and healing our democracy. And an email every two weeks after that.
Ready to help your neighbors become more engaged in healing our democracy? Sign up below!