As you can imagine, our team comes across some great journalism in the course of researching our actions. However, we can’t share everything because we work hard to stick to the short script model.
In between issues, we offer you this treasure chest of thought-provoking pieces we think are worth a read. Turn off your notifications, pour yourself a nice beverage and kick back for some good reading.
- Let America Be America Again, a poem by Langston Hughes [link]
- The Road From Serfdom: How Americans can become citizens again
by Danielle Allen [link]
- Americans Are at Each Other’s Throats: Here’s one way out
by Amanda Ripley [link]
- Joy Is An Act of Resistance: How celebration sustains activism
by Ingrid Fetell Lee [link]
- Burnout: The secret to unlocking the stress cycle
book by Emily Nagoski, Ph.D. and Amelia Nagoski, DMA [NPR interview]
- The Last Time Democracy Almost Died: Learning from the upheaval of the ninteen-thirties
by Jill Lapore [link]
- The Enemy Within: Our grasp on what it takes to sustain a democracy is slipping
by James Mattis [link]
- Do not lose heart: We were made for these times
by Clarissa Pinkola Estés, Ph.D. [link]
And! Here’s a reminder that the AoC Checklist now allows you to *check off* your completed actions. Take a look at our most recent edition to speak up for your democracy.