Take our Get Out the Vote Challenge!
Do FIVE actions from this page and you could win a pack of Voting Rocks postcards generously donated by our friends at Indivisible Bellingham. See details and enter to win at the bottom of this page.
Action 1: Ask a senior citizen if they want help checking registration.
Chances are good that you know someone who’s not very computer savvy. Make their day with a surprise phone call and ask if they want you to check that their voter registration is active and 100% accurate so they can vote in November.
Check registration here: https://www.nass.org/can-I-vote/voter-registration-status
Action 2: Send a postcard to 10 friends who you think might not vote.
Make it personal.
Script: I want things to be better for my neighbors who are struggling with poverty, violence, and oppression. That’s why I vote. Will you speak up for them too this fall?
Script: Roses are red, violets are blue, I’m casting a ballot, so how about you?
Script: Through history many Americans have struggled for their right to vote. Will you join me in honoring their lives by voting this fall?
Script: Things only change for the better when we use our voices. Your vote is one way to speak up. Will you join me in voting this election?
Action 3: Follow Americans of Conscience on social media and amplify our voting messages.
If you’re short on time, this is a great way to encourage people to vote.
Action 4: Post weekly on your social media accounts to keep voting top of mind.
The closer the election, the more chaos is likely in the news and in online spaces. Your kind, encouraging message might be the one that inspires an apathetic or overwhelmed citizen to vote.
- Share about why you’re choosing to vote this fall. Pro tip: avoid rancor and stay positive.
- September 13, 2020 Prepare to vote early using this link: https://americansofconscience.com/vote-2020/
- High School Registration Week: Sept 21-25, 2020
- When We All Vote Week of Action: September 20-27, 2020
- National Voter Registration Day: September 22, 2020 (shareable graphics here)
- National Vote Early Day: October 24, 2020
- National Voter Education Week Oct 5-9, 2020
- National Night Out Oct 6, 2020 Post a sign or chalk your sidewalk with pro-voting messages while your neighbors are out for a physically distant stroll.
- Vote By Mail Day: October 20, 2020 (Two weeks before election – subject to change.)
- “I talked to [names of friends], and they’re all voting. Are you?”
- “You’re a voter, aren’t you?”
- “On what day are you sending your ballot?” or “How are you getting to the polls?”
- “I’ll text you on election day to see how voting went!”
Action 6: Display pro-voting messages
- Make signs and display them
- Draw sidewalk chalk messages
- Wear VOTE t-shirts, buttons, masks
- Add a car magnet or sticker
- Stick on a water bottle sticker
Action 7: Reach out to local groups or organizations, asking them to encourage their members to vote.
Script: Dear [name], With an important election coming up, your advocacy for voting would make an important impact on the [members/students] of [group]. At the next opportunity, would you consider encouraging them to vote this fall? Thank you for considering my request.
- High schools
- Colleges and universities
- Local sports
- Faith communities
Action 8: Make your own Voting Rocks.
Using the example in the photo below, paint rocks with pro-voting messages and leave them around your community (remember to pick them up after the election in November). Inspired by our friends at Indivisible Bellingham (WA), this would be a fun civic activity to do with kids!
Action 9: Post on social media that you voted. Be creative!
Show your I VOTED sticker or your grinning face. Talk about how easy it was or how empowered you feel. If it was hard, share why you persevered. Sharing your personal experience can motivate others to participate too.
Did you do FIVE actions from this list?
Want to win a pack of 5 Voting Rocks postcards?
If you did five actions from this list between September 6 and October 10, 2020, complete this form to get in the drawing!
Read about this Election 2020 Challenge from Americans of Conscience Checklist.